Saturday, December 2, 2017

Where I'm From

By Martina Bouder

I’m from the dense woods of Pennsylvania. I’m from deep ponds, and small cabins.
From fall days, and piles of leaves.


I’m from watching the sunrise and listening to the woods come to life.
From cold mornings, and layers of clothes.
Thermoses of hot cocoa to keep me warm.


I’m from beautiful sunsets that no picture can capture.
From stunning colors that are indescribable
And nebulous clouds of all forms.


I’m from whitetail deer and largemouth bass
Finding the first star on starry nights by warm campfires.
From pop-pop’s jokes, and grandpa’s stories.


I’m from The Shore and waves that crash dangerously high.
From sandcastles for hours and the boardwalk for days.
From fishing, and ice cold water that numbs my senses.
I’m from situational awareness
From family talks and family tradition.
I’m from prayers and love.


I’m from one o’clock ideas,
And late night reading.
From insomnia and overthinking.


I’m from books.
From reading non-stop.
From Scout Finch to Kaz Brekker.
From Ernest Hemingway to J.K Rowling.
I’m from getting lost in a story.


I’m from brutal honesty.
From giving advice, and taking on others problems.
Saying what needs to be said when no one wants to hear it.


I’m from some tears and a lot of frustration.
From being better because of it.
And learning from it.


I’m from underestimation.
From
“Yes I can, if you’d give me a chance.”
“Fight me”
And “Just ‘cause I’m small doesn’t mean anything”.


I’m from classic rock and dancing with mom.
From singing with friends and drumming out the beat with my brother.


I’m from Polaroid photos with friends.
From pulling all nighters, and references that only we understand.
I’m from operations, inside jokes.
From being called short too many times to count.


I’m from being the big sister.
From my little brother, my whole world growing up too fast.
I’m from swinging for hours on end talking about everything.
I’m from tight hugs and messy hair.
I’m from “Never.” and “Always.”
From a brother and sister bond inseparable and strong.


I’m from ambition.
From my drive, my commitment, my willpower.
I’m from what pushes me to be who I am.
What breaks me, and what puts me back together.

That’s where I’m from.

No comments:

Post a Comment