Monday, December 18, 2017

Yours, mine, and ours

By Onzura, Aleycia

I came from Winchester. I have a lot of different values in me, for instance my dad is from Chihuahua, Mexico. He came here at 18 years old  because he needed a better life. He grew up in a poor home in Parrel, Chihuahua with seven siblings, his mom, and stepdad in a two-bedroom home. My dad never knew his real father. His education advanced until fifth grade; after that he worked. He worked in the fields gathering vegetables and taking care of the animals. He never worked for money, he worked for his family to survive. At 26 he got married and had three kids. Unfortunately, he got a divorce and got remarried to my mom.  Currently, he lives at home with his family, taking care of us.
My mom is from Cross Junction, Virginia. She lived in a three-bedroom trailer with three other siblings. When she was about 14, her parents got a divorce. Unlike my dad, my mom went to high school and graduated from James Wood, class of ‘89. After graduation she worked at a daycare ( TLC daycare), but made minimum wage. She had three kids as well, but had never gotten married and raised three kids as a single mother.

Then she met my dad  through my uncle. They now have been married for 19 years and had me and my two little sisters. I come from a blended family, with different moms or dads but that doesn’t matter to us. What matters is the love and the lessons I learn with them. Those lessons show me what I have to work for and achieve in life because nothing is handed to you. I come from a home of my parents’ hopes that we’ll strive to achieve our goals and dreams but also work hard for it. I didn’t come from a special place, but my background goes to show that people want better for their children. I think that's what has impacted where I'm from because my life wasn't such an obstacle. I’m from a regular home, with a regular family, but more of a Mexican-American lifestyle. That makes me Chicana, a Mexican-American girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment