Sunday, November 26, 2017

Not from here, but now


By Grace Keeler
I cannot define my origin with the name of a city, or a town. I am not “from” Winchester, Virginia. I am from the earth, my roots running deep down into the soil. I have sprung from a unique collection of experiences that is growing every second of every day. I am born anew continuously, therefore I am from now. This very second, I am different than I was, different than who I will be. I come from every tear I have shed, every bout of laughter to dance upon my lips. Each individual memory I possess has contributed to the person I am in this moment.

My home isn’t a single place, and it certainly isn't another person. I am my home, I am from within myself. The taste of hot chocolate on my tongue after sledding, the sound my pen makes when it scratches upon a page, these are the moments I am derived from. Tomorrow, the experiences from which I have originated will grow, however slowly. I know that I am my own place of origin, when I free myself from thoughts and focus on just being. I am the very essence of myself, unwaveringly Grace.

It’s hard to comprehend that every second we have spent on this earth means something, because we are then overwhelmed by the fear that we are wasting these moments. We are terrified of the concept that we can find a home in ourselves, because we have grown dependent on others for reassurance of worth. I have learned that even though finding a real home within oneself is difficult, it is a leap you have to take in order to fully discover who you are. I will not be confined to the address on my return stamps, or the place of birth on my Birth Certificate, because I am so much more. I am not from a city, a state, a country, a continent, a planet, any of that. I am from myself, evolving on my own within my body, mind, and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment