Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Losing Junior Year

By Annabelle Loy

I begrudgingly go closer to the vast body of water before me. I’d been brought here for a reason, I wasn’t sure what that reason was. The water pulled me closer and closer, until I was at the water's edge. I looked into the water for answers, yet the water yielded none. I’m not sure why, but I stepped in. The water angrily wrapped around my ankles, and something pulled me in further. The water was cold, but I was determined to, at the very least, satiate whatever the water wanted from me.

As I walked deeper into the ocean, the water got way too deep way too quickly and I was plunged underneath the waves. The waves roared overhead, determined to keep me under. The cold water forced me to exhale and I lost every last molecule of air in my lungs. It didn’t take long for me to lose control of my limbs as shock and fear settled in. I kept frantically trying to move but, alas, nature is a cruel mistress.

It certainly didn’t help to be told I was being dramatic and the water was only six feet deep. “Just swim up. When I was eighteen I drowned in one thousand feet and lived.” The voice echoed through my skull, making it harder to focus on trying to move. Eventually, I sank.

No comments:

Post a Comment