Sunday, November 13, 2022

After The Shot Drops: A review

by Jacob Purtlebaugh

    The title of the book I read was After The Shot Drops by Randy Ribay. It was

published by HarperCollins Publishers on January 21, 2020. After The Shot Drops is a sports

drama. I personally liked reading the book After The Shot Drops. The characters in the book

were easy for me to identify with. The writing style of the two main characters maintained my

interest while reading the book.


    After The Shot Drops begins with Bunny and Nasir who are friends that go to the same

school, and they play basketball together. Then things begin to change when Bunny has to

transfer schools to have a higher chance of getting recognized by a college. They go their

separate ways until a new character named Wallace tries to plot them against each other. This

is when a rising climax occurs.


    Bunny is one of the main characters who is the better basketball player, laidback, and

non-dramatic. Nasir is a stubborn, cautious, and jealous character. Wallace is the character that

dislikes Bunny and is important to the plot. Wallace gets Nasir to steal from Bunny and then

tries to get Bunny to lose the state final on purpose. When things do not go the way Wallace

planned he takes things into his own hands.


    I enjoyed the fact that I could relate to the characters in this book. Basketball is one of

my favorite outdoor activities that my friends and I do on a regular basis. There is always

someone that is a better basketball player and someone who may be a little jealous of this. The

character I mostly related to was Bunny, because I had to move to a different school and leave

my best friend behind. I can understand his struggles with making new friends while missing his

best friend.


    The author did a good job of writing the book with two main characters and letting you

know who each chapter was about instead of just writing a book and placing the characters

throughout the book. The author showed two different points of view in this book, one from

Bunny’s point and the other from Nasir’s point. By writing the book this way, I believe it was easy

to follow and more interesting.


    After the Shot Drops is a good book and will keep you interested. My favorite character

is Bunny and I understand his struggles. This book will take you along with him through

changing schools, losing friends, finding enemies and coming out stronger. I believe the author

did a great job with detailing the characters and taking you on the journey with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment