Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Kahlua cake with Cool Whip

By Joseph San Pietro

Kahlua cake served with ice cream is one of my favorite desserts. My Kahlua cake is a circular cake in the shape of a donut with an indescribable taste almost like chocolate. Topped with powdered sugar right out of the oven, it almost melts in your mouth.


My first time ever having Kahlua cake was during the Easter season years ago. My grandparents invited my whole family over for a party. My grandpa loves Cool Whip, and I mean he loves it. Leave him with a tub of Cool Whip, and he will eat it all. 


I put Cool Whip on my Kahlua cake and realized why he loved this cake and the Cool Whip. I fell in love with the taste. My grandpa had made it the night before and I kept telling him how good it was. He said to me next time he would make it the day of the party so it would be warmer and fresher. By no means was it not fresh the day after; it was just as good, but when it is warm, it’s the best taste in the world. 


Around a year after that, I called my grandparents and asked them for the recipe. They told me the recipe and I went straight to my parents, telling them the recipe and what to get at the store. I made sure to tell them to get Cool Whip. I made the cake and I was sure it would be one of my favorite desserts, if not my favorite. I ate it not long after it came out of the oven. My whole family said it was good. I make it every once in a while now.

That is how I came across Kahlua cake and how I came to love it.


Recipe for Kahlua cake:

The ingredients in Kahlua cake might surprise you. You need 1 15.25 ounce chocolate cake mix box, 1 3-ounce instant vanilla pudding box, 3/4 cup of Kahlua, 1 cup of chocolate chips, 4 large eggs, and 3/4 cup of vegetable oil. That seems pretty normal for a cake but there is one more ingredient:  16 ounces of sour cream. It might sound bad but you should try it. Once baked you can't even taste the sour cream. Pour the cake batter into a bundt pan and bake at 325 degrees for 55-65 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment