Monday, October 5, 2020

Writing Matters

By Anne Larsen

I have been a writer for my entire life. I bleed poetry, I think in prose; writing is a part of who I am. This element of myself has contributed immensely to my academic success, as it taught me how to be a critical thinker, how to organize my thoughts in such a way that others can clearly understand them, and how to communicate. Writing has also molded me as a person through allowing me to express myself as a singular human being.

When I took the AP World History exam last year, which was writing-based, my ability to write quickly and efficiently was one of the deciding factors that helped me earn a high score. I attribute my success on this exam to the practice and development of the writing skills I have nurtured each year; I have submitted essays and poetry to contests, worked on John Handley High School’s literary magazine, Miscellanea, and participated in a variety of writing programs--some of which were based at Handley, and others through non-profit organizations. All of this spurred the advancement of my writing abilities. While writing as an educational tool is scientifically and anecdotally supported, it should be promoted to students more often so they can also excel academically. This can be done by giving students more opportunities to write in the classroom.

Writing has combined my self-confidence, creativity, and critical-thinking skills into a compound that has made me successful as a student and as a person. I would like to stress the value of a Creative Writing class at Handley. This is my second year participating in a Creative Writing course at John Handley High School, and the effects of this learning have benefitted me and many others immeasurably. This is because there was a part of my day dedicated to writing; I would not have had time to develop my writing had this not been the case. High school students barely have time to sit still, and this time set aside for writing would truly promote growth in writing skills, which would, in turn, increase communicative abilities, promote mental health, and provide a peaceful time in which students can explore their creativity. This class is absolutely essential to nurturing students as successful people and should be included and promoted at John Handley High School.

Every writer is different: some enjoy the technicalities of language, while others revel in the flowery flow of poetry. Language in the written form is so irreplaceable to our society that it would be foolish to neglect it. In a world that is always moving, students and people do not have much time to explore their thoughts, let alone express them, but it is imperative that they do. Writing helps people grow as communicators as well as healthy, creative individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment