Monday, August 31, 2015

If it were perfect
washed up yellow street light
glowing on the corner of National Ave
sparkling on the wet pavement
like a constellation heaped on the ground
thoughts keep me awake
turning and tossing
blankets thrown to the floor in a pile of frustration
it’s quiet
the sky opened up
like i never could
and drenched the earth in wind and rain
i sat on the porch
at 5:58am
because the thunder called me
and the lightning comforted me
it felt nice to know that i was not the only one
whose existence was merely something of chance
the storm raged on
as did the one beneath my skin
in the dark with a tight throat
burning eyes and a stinging nose
longing to go home
even though I was under a roof with a father and sister
who loved me
in a place i called home
knowing full well that the air i breathe sits like a boulder in my chest
and i struggle to stand
grasping desperately at the railings
i’ve been holding my breath so long
waiting for a miracle
that my lungs turned to sails
so that instead of drowning
i could live in the rain and sail the storm
just as the sun began to peek
over the crests of the trees
and suddenly the world was lonely again
just a small cosmic god in a kingdom of things
greater than anything imaginable
i wonder how it would taste
to sip the stars
and to place each of saturn's rings
on my fingers
how would it feel
to lay down in a blanket of time’s worn fabric
would moondust and meteorites grace the crown of my head
with gems of frosted crystals and small galaxies
what if my hands could create a universe

what if it were perfect?

-M.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment