Monday, January 8, 2018

From El Salvador with a smile

By Kevin Melendez

When people ask me where I am from, I usually say El Salvador even though I was born in Virginia. I don’t exactly know the reason, but maybe it’s because I’ve been speaking Spanish longer than English? Is it because the things I do are influenced by my Hispanic culture? I used to hate saying El Salvador because I thought people would judge me.

Everything I am, feel, and think is based on one question.

The people around me care about me, so why should I let them down?

Now that I’m older, I take into account where I came from. When my parents tell me that the reason they came here was for a better future for me, I have no choice but to try at school, because if I don’t, I’m afraid they will say that they came and immigrated to this country for nothing. I am afraid of the future, the pressure, my life as a whole. But I keep a smile because that is the most important thing in life. So when people ask me where I’m from, I will happily accept my heritage and culture, and will say El Salvador with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment